It's National Keep Pets Safe in Winter Day!
Those of us who live in colder climates are used to taking all sorts of precautions to prepare for winter, from putting on snow tires to breaking our warmest togs out of moth balls. But don’t forget that winter also poses challenges for our pets! With their protection in mind, the ASPCA has teamed up with Morton Salt’s Safe-T-Pet® ice melt to raise awareness about winter hazards for pets. Be sure to take note of the following tips:
- Keep anti-freeze stored on high shelves in sealed containers, and quickly clean any spills or leakage.
- Use a pet-friendly (salt-free and chloride-free) ice melter such as Morton® Safe-T-Pet® in areas where pets walk.
- Limit outdoor time for pets when temperatures drop below freezing.
- Check warm spots on cars, such as hoods, where animals might seek shelter from the cold, before starting the engine.
- Keep pets on a leash, especially dogs, as they can become disoriented or lost when once-familiar surroundings are covered in ice and snow.
- Wipe paws clean after walking on ice and snow.
- Make sure pets are wearing ID tags and proper outerwear as needed.
Easy Winter Action!
In addition to sharing important winter safety tips, Morton is raising funds for the ASPCA! For every "like" they receive on their Facebook page through January 31, 2012, Morton will donate $1 to the ASPCA. So get clicking—and thanks!